Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Responsibility

It's not a new argument. Responsibility in it's many forms has been a subject of debate for millions of years.
Who takes responsibility for this, who takes it for that.
I am a huge believer in taking responsibility for yourself. That sounds easy, right? I know you're thinking to yourself, "Duh, idiot! That's a pretty bland belief." But, I think you'd be surprised at the number of people who constantly blame something or someone for pretty much everything that goes wrong in their lives.

Parents are the most popular people to blame and in a lot of cases, it's warranted.
Parents shoulder a HUGE responsibility the minute that child is conceived. Mothers are responsible for taking care of their bodies while that child is growing inside.
Once the baby is born, the parents share the responsibility of making sure the child has food, healthcare, love and direction.
I know many people who think that if they feed and clothe their kids, they've done a great job.
Of course, I'm no expert. I don't have any kids of my own but I'm also not retarded and I think it's common sense to know that as a parent, you're responsible for shaping that young, impressionable child into a strong, intelligent, capable adult.

Obviously, not many people have that kind of common sense. There are worthless, dirtbag parents all over this world.

But once that child is an adult with a fully-functioning brain and knows right from wrong, who is responsible for that adult? The parents?
I don't think so.
There comes a time in a person's life when they have to start taking responsibility for themselves. They have to say, "Hey, if I want something different for my life, I have to make those changes myself."

It's too easy to blame your fuck ups on other people or other things...like drugs.

The whole reason why I'm talking about this is because of this story.
I'm sure a lot of you have heard about it because it's so horrid, so revolting.
Investigators say in a backyard in Spring, he and Turner not only beat a 17-year-old boy nearly to death, but also sodomized him with a plastic pipe and all because the Hispanic victim kissed a 12-year-old girl.

The victim is still in critical condition.

The suspect that was interviewed is blaming his crime on drugs.
He was high on Xanax, cocaine, marijuana and vodka. It wasn't this former neo-nazi's fault. It was the unimaginable amount of drugs and alcohol he had willingly consumed that night.

It's possible the drugs could have jumped down his throat, up his nose and in his lungs themselves. Gosh, the poor guy. He's not responsible for any of this.

No comments: