Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Astros & Social Media

Twice now, I've been lucky enough to attend the social media events hosted by the Astros and Alyson Footer, the Senior Digital Media Director.
For an amazing price, you're treated like a VIP with an early bird tour, batting practice viewing from the Diamond Club, seats in the Budweiser patio in center field, a t-shirt, trivia games with a featured player (Hunter Pence & Chris Johnson so far), popcorn, drinks, dinner and dessert. Plus, we get to watch the game with other twitter-using fans.
It's simply the best way to watch a game!

At the second event, I was lucky enough to win during the trivia contest. I got to meet and have my picture taken with Chris Johnson, the Astros' 3rd baseman and I received a signed Craig Biggio bronze bust.
I was so surprised and excited that I didn't care how ridiculous I looked standing there smiling next to this gorgeous young major league baseball player.
Later, when I saw the pictures, I regretted it.

My mother loves the Astros and she LOVES going to the games. Of course, I had to bring her with me and she has just had the best time. At the first one, she got to meet and have her picture taken with Jim Deshaies whom she loves. She got to sit in Drayton McLane's seat during BP which was a thrill.
At the most recent event, she got to sit right next to the bullpen and watch all the pitchers warm up.
She became friends with the manager of the FiveSeven Grill and he sent her home with some baseball goodies.

The fact that my 71 year old mother can still get around and experience fun times like these makes me so happy. I'm praying that I can continue to offer her the opportunity to do things like this. When you're 71 years old, you deserve to only have happy moments in life.

No comments: