Thursday, February 15, 2007

Mea Culpa

So, today, someone that works within the same infrastructure, asked me out.
I've known this guy ever since I started working here and have always thought the world of him.
When we were all evacuating for Hurricane Rita, he found out that I didn't have a place to evacuate to so he gave me his cell number. If I got stranded, he had clearance to come in and out of the cities in the county so he would come get me.
That was like a beacon in the dead of night at that time. We were all so worried about our homes, our lives, everything......any kindness seemed so genuine and rare.

Today, he came in and asked me out. My kneejerk reaction was to say I was dating someone.
As nice as this man is, he's just not my type.
But don't ask me what my type is because I couldn't tell you. I just know it's not him.

After he left, I had second thoughts. What's so wrong with this guy? He just couldn't be nicer. He's got a steady job and he's got grown/almost grown kids who are successful college students so he must have done something right with them.
Sure, physically, he isn't someone I could see myself dating but is it wrong of me to judge this book by his cover when I know his pages are pretty good?

And also, what happens if you tell someone you won't go out with them but then you change your mind? Do you run after him and say, "I was lying! I'm single. My first reaction was to reject you. My bad!"

Apparently, saying "My bad." absolves you of all sins.
Saying it in latin, "Mea Culpa", not only absolves you of sins, it makes you look like a freakin genius.

If I run after him yelling "Mea Culpa! Mea Culpa!" and he doesn't run the other way, I just might go out with him. Well...not really.

No comments: