Saturday, March 25, 2006

One Paper Crane

I've been restless lately. Not the can't-sit-still kind of restless but more like the what-direction-is-my-life-taking-me-lately.
I've sat here in front of my computer trying to compose something cute and funny for my blog and nothing's coming.

I had to work for a few hours today and the weather was so beautiful, I hated to be stuck indoors.
I thought this would be a perfect day to spend some time at the cemetary.
It's so peaceful there. I've started taking a notebook with me when I go because I think so clearly there.
I realized today that this is one of the only times I can be totally alone outdoors. I'm not sure I believe in spirits hanging around cemetaries but I get a good vibe there.

I must have sat there for a good thirty minutes before I looked around at some of the other graves. I realized that there were pieces of paper scattered around.
This is usually an immaculate place so I was surprised to see what I thought was trash.
I studied one of the pieces closest to me and realized that it wasn't trash, it was a paper crane.
There were paper cranes everywhere!
I followed the trail and realized they came from one grave. The headstone told me it was a 50 yr old man and judging by the cellos engraved in his stone, he was a musician.
The cranes were made with colored paper and sheet music.
They were beautiful.
I imagined the children or grandchildren of this man folding these cranes with loving precision and care and leaving them on his grave.

As I was leaving, I saw that the wind blew near my car a single paper crane lying on it's side.

I couldn't stop myself. I picked it up and took it with me. I'm not sure why...it just felt like the right thing to do.

No comments: