Monday, September 20, 2010

Dirty Sexy Politics by Meghan McCain

Dirty Sexy Politics was my first Kindle purchase. That's pretty exciting.
I felt like I was privy to the making of this book because I follow Meghan McCain on twitter. She didn't give much away but I think a lot of her followers felt like they had the inside track on her writing process just because she shared a few things with us.
That's ok, though. This is what twitter is for...to feel like we're all connected.

From Barnes & Noble:
In this witty, candid, and boisterous book, Meghan takes us deep behind the scenes of the campaign trail. She steals campaign signs in New Hampshire, tastes the nightlife in Nashville, and has a strange encounter with Laura and Jenna Bush at the White House. Along the way, she falls in love with America— while seeing how far the Republican Party has veered from its core values of freedom, honesty, and individuality. In Dirty Sexy Politics, Meghan McCain gives us a true insider's account of life on a campaign trail.


I didn't really have any expectations about Dirty Sexy Politics and I knew she wasn't going to dish on Palin because she told us so on twitter. However, she did...a little.

I was simply expecting McCain's view on her father's campaign for President and that's what we got.
I've read reviews where people call her shallow or vapid and naive. Well...she WAS naive and she fully admits it. She was a girl in her early 20s in a scary world that, to me, seems to make no sense. This was from the point of view of that girl and she delivered. I don't think she ever pretended this book was something it's not.

If you're looking for hard-hitting political insight, this book isn't for you but I have a feeling that's not going to bother Meghan McCain because she wrote a book about her experience in the campaign not a book about the intricacies of the GOP.

Yes, she's young but you know what? I agree with her stance on politics and the GOP.
I want the same things she wants from her political party and I admire her for admitting it.
Will people listen to what she has to say? I don't know. The media has already tried to portray her as a blonde bimbo but I bet they were surprised when she had something real to say.
Maybe she will inspire more people to jump up and admit that they're not happy with the direction the Republican party is moving.

During the campaign, Meghan cried a lot, threw a temper tantrum or two, said the wrong thing at times, did the wrong thing at times, wore the wrong thing at times but she has matured enough to admit it and learn from it.

Dirty Sexy Politics was a quick fun read for me. I do have to say that there was only a little politics, not much sexy and only touched on the dirty but if you have an open mind, I'd suggest you read it.

No comments: