Friday, March 12, 2010

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I'm one of those people who hate feeling left out.  For about a year now, I've had to hear/read about how much everyone is loving The Hunger Games. 
I'd skip to another blog and there it is again....staring me in the face. 
"But I have so many books on my TBR list, I can't add a whole TRILOGY to the pile, can I?"
But I couldn't stand it so I gave in to peer pressure!

I could. not. put. this. book. down.  For real. 
It has everything you want from a book:  adventure, social injustice and a political message, a hero/heroine and unrequited love.
From Amazon:

The United States of America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war, to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year, two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcasted throughout Panem as the 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch.
The heroine, Katniss, is a tough 16 yr old who has had to fight for every scrap of food for her family since her father died when she was 11. 
When Prim, her little sister, is picked in the lottery to participate in the games, Katniss volunteers to take her place.  She knows sweet little Prim would never survive among these savages so with her knowledge of survival, she enters the arena to fight for her and her family's lives.

I know it sounds horrible and barbaric and it is...but Suzanne Collins somehow makes it ok to read.  You're not terribly grossed out or scared to death.
She makes Katniss super strong yet vulnerable and scared at times.  Like a normal 16 yr old in an unfair society.
The characters seem very well written and fleshed out. 
However, I became so frustrated with this political message.  Is this where we're all headed if we continue to live the way we are living?
I'm not sure I dig these post-apocalyptic novels trying to scare everyone into being better citizens of the world.  Some of us are doing the best we can.

But this was a great read.  I truly couldn't but it down and read most of it in one night.
I've got the next book in the Trilogy, Catching Fire, on my desk right now.
The TBR pile is getting higher!

1 comment:

EJ said...

I hope you enjoy Catching Fire. I can't wait for the third book. :)