Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Real Life

I had to go back to normal life yesterday. After being off work from December 23 - Jan 1, it was hard going back.
I did get to rest a lot and I did catch up on my soaps. I didn't clean my house from top to bottom like I fantasized about.
I wish I could be one of those people who really got off on cleaning. If I had three wishes, my third one would be to be a clean freak. Of course after my first wish of 100 gazillion dollars, I guess I could hire people to clean for me.

One of my projects was to find a place for my purses. I have tons of them but they were all stored in two of those gigantic Ziplock storage bags. They were getting all squished that way and since I couldn't see them all, I'd forget what purses I had.
I actually convinced myself that I needed a small black purse and almost went out in search of one. But after going through my purse collection, I found I had 3 medium to small black purses! NICE ones too...including Donna Karan and Maxximum by Maxx New York!
So, I found super cheap clear-ish sweater storage bags at the dollar store and I cleared off a bookshelf in my bedroom.
Now, I can see each purse and can actually use them more often.
purseshelf.jpg
Yes, I am well aware that I have a huge problem. But, I am a smart shopper.
It's rare that I pay full price for a bag. I love nice, good quality handbags but I don't like paying for them so I wait and I stalk them until they go on sale.
Take, for instance, this past weekend...I decided I needed a medium brown purse because the other brown purses I owned were either not the right material (suede and fun faux fur) or were the wrong size for my specific need.
Macy's had a ton of handbags on clearance and then during their one day sale, you take an extra 30% off clearance items and then with the Macy's card, you get an extra 10% off your purchases.
I ended up getting an Alfani leather bag for practically NOTHING.

See, kids? If I were spending $1000 or more on bags constantly like SOME people I know, you could say I have a problem but really, I'm just a smart handbag shopper!

So, speaking of resolutions...a coworker is trying to quit smoking.
Is it horrible of me to wish she'd just go smoke a fucking cigarette? She's driving me nuts.
She's jittery and irritable. Shit, I'm thinking of just buying her a pack myself.

I received a Barnes and Noble gift card for Christmas and I bought a few books that I can't wait to read.
Right now I'm reading a collection of short stories chosen by David Sedaris called Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules.
I also purchased Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, What is the What by Dave Eggers and The Fuck Up by Arthur Nersesian.

I sent a copy of Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules to my cousin for Christmas. I haven't heard if he received it or not.
Is it rude to send a gift via mail then bug the shit out of someone until they confirm they received it?
For all I know, someone in a back room of the post office is reading his book and eating the dog treats I sent to his dogs.