Thursday, March 10, 2011

World Without End by Ken Follett

Ken Follett screwed up. This should have been titled Book Without End.
This is seriously one big ass tome. I mean good LORD...it just kept going and going and going.
It's a damn good thing it was so interesting.
This is a sequel of sorts to Pillars of Earth (which I haven't read).

From Amazon: World Without End takes place in the same town of Kingsbridge, two centuries after the townspeople finished building the exquisite Gothic cathedral that was at the heart of The Pillars of the Earth. The cathedral and the priory are again at the center of a web of love and hate, greed and pride, ambition and revenge, but this sequel stands on its own. This time the men and women of an extraordinary cast of characters find themselves at a crossroad of new ideas--about medicine, commerce, architecture, and justice.

To be honest, reading this book was a mistake. I was looking for Fall of Giants by Follett on www.booklending.com and accidentally clicked on this one and requested to borrow it. I figured what the hell and read it.

I'm pretty glad I did. Follett is a freaking beast when it comes to his research....of course he could be making all of this up and I'd never know. It just sounds good to me.
He puts his characters through the proverbial wringer. Just when I thought the good guys were finally catching a break, he'd hit them with some new horrible calamity.
I was exhausted by the end of it and needed to read some horrible vampire fiction to "cleanse my palate".
But this book is one of those that you can totally lose yourself in. Just dive right in, the water is nice!

No comments: