Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Jane Eyre

I decided to read Jane Eyre again because it had been years since the last time and the movie was set to come out and I wanted to refresh my drink.
Little did I know that it would be a limited film release and the closest theater so far is in Atlanta. This is not a road trip I would feel comfortable explaining to others.
So...I wait...
In the meantime, I thoroughly enjoyed the book the second time around!
My next door neighbor, whose patio is adjacent to mine, and I read it at the same time and we sat on out on our patios with just a wooden fence between us, contemplating the douchey-ness of St. John.
I tweeted this and Sheila O'Malley tweeted back that he always reminded her of her first boyfriend.
After a few tweets back and forth, we determined that St. John is a high functioning Christian psychopath....or at least that's what I said.

I remember reading something about a controversy in the Bronte family. Now, I can't remember where I read this and doing a quick Google search turned up nothing.
I don't want to speculate because my memory fails me.

I never really appreciated the beauty of Jane Eyre and the characters that Bronte created. I feel like she knew a St. John and a Rochester. As Sheila mentioned, they are so specific. I don't know if you can make up a subtle psychopath like St. John and especially when she rarely left her tiny town during her short life.

Jane Eyre and in turn Charlotte Bronte were quite the feminists. I love this line which holds true and should be true for anyone, even today:
"I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will."

No comments: