Monday, August 4, 2008

The sky is falling....

or some dramatic shit like that.

The news media in Houston are wetting themselves over this.
They are screaming at us to board up our windows, and RUN RUN and get water by the cases and dear God, don't forget the canned goods!
So, predictably, the grocery stores and Walmart are jam packed.

It was nearly 3 years ago when we were preparing for Hurricane Rita. That Monday before, I thought I was being proactive when I went to Walmart to get some water, a few batteries and dog food.
But I was blown away by the hysteria. People were literally running through the parking lot pushing baskets full of Rubbermaid boxes, cases of water and canned goods.
I walked inside and the energy was electric. I suddenly became overwhelmed. I didn't know which way to turn and I was screaming inside my head, "What do I need? What. Do. I. NEED????"
The water was gone. I couldn't even find the batteries.

A few minutes later, I found myself standing in line purchasing bubble wrap and Cheetos.
How's that for hurricane supplies?
As long as you have bubble wrap and Cheetos, you'll be fine....really.

My smart sister said this afternoon that Edouard (what the fuck kind of name is this anyway???) would take a jog to the north and we would miss the bad stuff.
Looks like she's right.

I'm not sure about the bubble wrap...there might be some around here but I've definitely got the Cheetos and the dogs have food, pig ears and chicken jerky.
We're so good.

No comments: